Thursday, March 29, 2007

Subway Diet, Day 4

I know I haven't lost that much weight, but I think I actually look a little skinnier. I'm regretting not taking a "before" picture, so I can compare it to the "after" picture in which I'll be holding up a pair of my "old" pants (which would be the same pants I still wear now).

Weigh-in: This morning the scale read 96.6 lbs., so I dropped 1.4 lbs. from yesterday. Geez, in three days on this I've lost 3.2 lbs. I see why Jared dropped 250 in one year.

6:55 a.m. - Same old tropical fruit cup, although this is the last from a four-pack. I think tomorrow I'm only going to drink coffee for breakfast.

10:35 a.m. - I'm not really hungry or thirsty, but I get a glass of water. I'm concerned that my stomach has indeed shrunk, and that I'm getting used to eating in much smaller amounts. I reminisce about all those times I have over-engorged myself at a meal, almost like a pride thing to prove that I could eat that sixth slice of pizza, or make another trip to the buffet line, or whatever.

Funny thing, by the way, is that I read a Q&A in the paper today about if it's really possible to die by drinking too much water. The answer is yes, but an adult would have to drink about 15 liters to die. By comparison, the 144 oz. of liquid I drank on Monday is equivalent to only 4.2 liters.

11:50 a.m. - I head downstairs to Subway, and while standing in line, I decide to get my sub toasted, maybe to trick myself into thinking I'm getting something different.

I get the Lay's Light again, as well as a ham sub with lettuce, tomato and green peppers on wheat and a diet Coke.

12:02 p.m. - I will attempt to eat this meal as slowly as possible.

Before I start, I notice the nutritional info on the cup, and it says that mustard is just five calories (on six inches, I presume) with no fat. I think I will have mustard on tonight's sub, just for some flavor. If I laugh really hard, I can burn off the 10 calories I need to cancel the mustard.

12:50 p.m. - I did it. I managed to eat a meal that would normally be five or six bites to me and prolong it over 50 minutes. I'm actually somewhat full as a result.

Lunch statistics: 365 calories, 5 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat.

2:30 p.m. - Somewhere outside is the smell of either beef shishkabob or philly cheese steaks. This is not fair.

4 p.m. - H to the Izzo.

5:30 p.m. - I go with a friend to a happy hour. It's free alcohol and food. This is pure torture! I start with a pint of Blone Doppelbock, and then move on to a 34-oz. mug of Miller Lite. While I drink the waitstaff is constantly bringing out more and more food, faster than people can eat it. There's pizza (the bacon & pepperoni looked outstanding), chicken wings, onion rings, nachos, mozzarella sticks and more. This makes three fucking days where I can have unlimited food but have to turn it down. Ironically, I'm sure next week I will not have any such encounters.

I make it the 2.5 hours I'm there without eating a bite. I'm hungry and I'm angry, which is a bad combo. Plus, I could have drank a lot more.

8 p.m. - I meet up with some friends for a birthday outing. I actually feel pretty drunk (doppelbock + 34 oz. = 58 oz. = ~ 5 beers on an ultra empty stomach), so all I can muster is two glasses of water.

9:30 p.m. - The party breaks up, and I worry that all the nearby Subways are closed. Fortunately, the one on State Street is open until 10 p.m. I would think it would be pretty dead inside, but someone is checking out as I enter, and two people walk in behind me. C'mon, who craves Subway at night? Nearby there's Jeff & Jim's Pizza, Asian Kitchen, Real Chili, Cold Stone and more. Don't those sound more appealing?

This Subway also has a special, but it's two foot longs for $9.99, a dollar more expensive than the one on Randall Avenue--better than nothing, I guess.

9:40 p.m. - I eat one of the footlongs, a turkey with lettuce, cucumber, onion, jalapenos and mustard on honey oat. I don't take my time with this one; I polish it off (with a glass of milk) in no time.

Dinner statistics: 570 calories (sub) + 120 (skim milk) + 468 (beer) = 1158 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat.

I mostly survived this tough, tough day!

Thursday's statistics: 1,523 calories, 14 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated fat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

question: should this really be on a blog entitles "Review of Fun Things to Do"? does that imply that this is in fact fun?

-adam