Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Subway Diet, Day 2

I think I may be overhydrated. After dinner last night I lifted weights and jogged, and not at any point did I ever feel thirsty. That's because I must have drank at least 12 glasses of water throughout the day to battle my hunger.

I know in Day 1 of this blog I left off my weight. Just for mathematical purposes, let's say yesterday my weight was 100.2. This morning's weigh-in put me at 98.6, a difference of 1.6 pounds. I know for a fact that it couldn't have been all water weight that I lost, because as I mentioned, I drank a LOT of water yesterday.

I'm considering splitting my 12-inch sub to two six-inch subs, so that I will be eating four meals a day (breakfast then three sub meals). That way, I can keep my metabolism up and possibly lose more weight. We'll see if I have time during the day.

6:45 a.m. - After the weigh in--and I have to admit, the results were somewhat surprising--I eat another tropical fruit cup. Normally, I am not hungry at breakfast and only eat to wake up my metabolism. Today, I could probably eat the Tremendous 12 at Perkin's, then polish off a Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's.

9:20 a.m. - I make a pot of coffee at work, not because I'm sleepy and need the caffeine, but because I don't want to drink another three glasses of water in the morning. Plus, I think the coffee will fill me up a bit more. Fortunately, coffee is low in calories; with the sugar I added, the cup is only 50 or so calories.

10:15 a.m. - Now I'm starting to have hunger pangs. How the hell did Jared, a 300+pound guy, eat so little for a year? I'm convinced he must've had his stomach stapled.

Time another cup of coffee. It's just half-a-cup this time, plus no sugar. Should just be about two calories.

11 a.m. - I have to go run an errand, so I grab lunch on my way to the parking ramp. Today, I get a six-inch Subway club with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and pickles on wheat bread. I was looking for the Baked Lay's when instead I came upon Lay's Light. Not only is it fat free, but it's half the calories (just 75), so it's even better for you (so to speak) than their baked counterparts.

11:04 a.m. - I eat the chips in the car. I'm worried that the Olean they're made with will give me the runs.

These chips are actually pretty good. They taste just like regular Lay's.

11:06 a.m. - I've developed some sort of film on the roof of my mouth. I wonder if it's the Olean that has coagulated in my mouth.

12:10 a.m. - I wait until after I get back to the office to eat the sub. This one tastes a lot better than that "oven-roasted" chicken breast that I had yesterday.

Lunch statistics: 395 calories (with chips), 6 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat

3 p.m. - I'm of course hungry again, but not as painfully so as previous times. I decide I can tolerate this pain and not even drink any fluids! Is it possible to be sick of water?

5:20 p.m. - Here's where things get really tricky. I go to the Big Ten Pub's customer appreciation day, which has free food along with $1 taps and rails. I drink three Capital Brewery Blonde Doppelbocks because 1) They're damned good and 2) a six pack costs $10, so they are expensive beers that I'm only paying a buck for.

The food looks sooooo good. There's burgers, BBQ ribs, shrimp cocktail, mac & cheese, cocktail wieners, tons of desserts and more. I eat one shrimp, one rib and later I sneak a mini-burger (it's about a quarter the size of a real burger). Otherwise, I live vicariously through my two friends, whom I kept encouraging to eat more on my behalf. Seriously, do you know how hard it is to resist free food? I could have eaten at least four plates of ribs alone before I even attacked the other foods.

As a result of all the drinking, I'm actually not too hungry afterward (usually, drinking makes me hungry), so I don't go to Subway rightaway.

7 p.m. - Instead, I meet up with other friends for a going away party at the Great Dane. I swear to God all I had were four glasses of delicious water. The waitress was super nice about my lack of ordering anything real, and I offered to buy her a drink, but she said she wasn't allowed (but otherwise would've said yes ... at least that's what I daydreamed she meant).

8:30 p.m. - When I decide to leave, I realize I could probably go the rest of the night without eating, but I still want to go to the Subway on Randall Avenue in order to get their deal, which I vaguely recall from a drunken night about a month ago.

8:40 p.m. - Yes! This Subway on Randall and University does indeed have a special, and it's a good one: Two foot-longs for $8.99! I order a 12-inch ham & turkey with black olives (even though I hate them), pickles, sweet peppers and onions on honey oat bread, and a 12-inch sweet onion teriyaki with jalepenos, tomatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes on Italian herbs. These two subs would have cost $12+tax otherwise; I paid just $9.48.

9:11 p.m. - I debate for a long time whether I can/should eat any of these subs. I figure, I didn't eat that much today, and besides the beer, my calorie count was pretty low. Plus, when you have two feet of fucking subs sitting in front of you, it's hard to resist. So I "grudgingly" decide to eat six inches of the sweet onion teriyaki sub with--what else?--a glass of water.

The good thing about putting jalenpenos on anything is that it makes you thirsty, so I have to pound a couple more glasses of water to help cool my mouth; that in turn makes me more full.

Dinner statistics: 120 calories (rib, rounded way up) + 60 (mini burger) + 8 (shrimp with a little sauce) + 370 (sub) + 510 (beer) = 1,068 calories, 13.1 grams fat, 5.5 grams saturated fat.

Tuesday's statistics: 1,463 calories, 19.1 grams fat, 7.5 grams saturated fat.

Now I realize I didn't count breakfast either day. I'm sorry, but I just don't feel the need to count those 50 or so calories. I just want to see the calorie count from the Subway diet alone. Today I counted the beer, rib, burger and shrimp because they "substituted" for six inches of sub.

Tomorrow I'll be better, I promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fight the power buddy!

-adam