Monday, March 26, 2007

Subway Diet, Day 1

Preface:

I decided to partake in the Subway Diet. I was vaguely familiar with how it works; from the commercials, Jared Fogle ate the eight healthier subs at Subway every day. From my research, I found out that he ate a six-inch sub with Baked Lay's and a diet soda for lunch, then he had a 12-inch sub for dinner (specifically, turkey and vegetarian, respectively). Jared never added cheese or mayo to his subs.

The reason why this diet works is because altogether, Jared was only eating 1,000-1,200 calories a day, far below the recommended 2,000. Experts say that the diet is not nutritious, as it lacks vitamins such as calcium. Oh well, I think I can handle this diet for at least a week. Plus, Subway just added sliced apples and raisins to the menu, and I'll be eating fruit for breakfast.

This weekend, I binged on some foods that I thought I would crave/miss: Friday I had Culver's, Saturday I had KFC and Taco Bell, and Sunday I had BW3s.

I weighed myself this morning right after getting up. The electronic scale read 1XX.2 pounds (sorry, I thought I'd leave my actual weight off this blog).

7 a.m. - I have a tropical fruit cup for breakfast, with nothing to drink. Half-an-hour later, I'm starving.

9:30 a.m. - I'm starting to feel hungry again, so I have a glass of water.

10:45 a.m. - (See 9:30)

11 a.m. - I can start to smell the fresh-baked bread from the Subway below my office. God, I'm hungry.

11:45 a.m. - I meet my wife for lunch at Subway. Unfortunately, my slew of Subway coupons expired yesterday, so I have to turn to my Entertainment Book coupons. This one is for buy one six-inch sub and large soda, get one free.

I figure that since some of the eight subs have more calories than the others, I will order them as six inches and the other ones as 12 inches. Today, I got the oven-roasted chicken breast (with lettuce, tomato, onions and sweet peppers on wheat) and a diet coke. Knowing that the coupon did not include chips, I had my wife bring an apple for me.

At the checkout, I asked if this Subway restaurant had specials after 5 p.m., like most Subways. Unfortunately, they said no, so I will have to go to another Subway for dinner.

I ate the apple first, then I ate the ultra-tasteless sub. Apparently, "oven-roasted" meant boiled, because that was the only way this chicken was cooked as far as I could tell. I'm sitting on a bench near the Capitol, and while I eat, everyone around me is eating foods that look and smell way better. Also while I eat, I ponder if I tried the "Super Size Me" diet at McDonald's for one week, could I lose all that weight via the Subway diet the following week?

Lunch statistics: 355 total calories, 5 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat.

12:15 p.m. - My stomach feels a little funny, probably because for the first time in a long time, I eat a meal with fruit, vegetables and no sauce/seasoning.

2:35 p.m. - Dammit, I'm starting to feel hungry again. Time for some more water.

5:30 p.m. - I can't believe I made it to this point--I'm sooo hungry! I drive to the Subway on Park Street; this restaurant also does not have specials after 5 p.m.

I order a foot-long roast beef on Italian with lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers and jalepenos. I take it home and eat it with a 12-oz. glass of skim milk.

Dinner statistics: 580 calories (sub) + 120 calories (milk) = 700 calories, 10 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat.

I guess I'm done for the day!

Monday's statistics: 1,055 calories, 15 grams fat, 5.5 grams saturated fat.

Not bad, I'd say. By comparison, the KFC Variety Big Box Meal I ate for lunch last Saturday was 1,325 calories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are seriously want to shed extra fat then try subway diet. In subway subs you can customize you sandwich’s in such a way that it is fat free. I tried it my self there is a remarkable change in just one month. We can avail discounts at subway with Subway Coupons which we can collect at every purchase, Thank you.