Sunday, May 27, 2007

Janesville Armory

I checked out the Janesville Armory to see the dinner musical, "Cabaret" (my favorite). For those who don't know, the Armory was built in the 1930s and was used as a World War II training site for the Janesville 99. A few years ago, it was converted into a restaurant, lounge and theater.

Located in downtown Janesville, Wis., the Armory has plenty of parking with a lot across the street (plus some street parking), all for free. Plus, next to the Armory is a residential neighborhood, so the parking lot isn't competing with many other businesses.

When you walk to the main entrance from the parking lot, you pass the outdoor patio, which seems like it would be a great place to have a drink in the summer. Once inside, you see the dining room and a big bar. Although I didn't eat in them, the more-upscale Lieutenant's Restaurant serves American and French cuisine, while the Bunker & Patio serves "regular" restaurant food and offers live entertainment every Friday in the summer.

The theater is not large, but it's big enough so you don't feel like you're in a second-rate room, and it's small enough that there's really not a bad seat in the house. Ticket prices include a prix-fixe menu; you select an appetizer and entree (plus you get dessert) when you arrive. You can also upgrade the appetizers, entrees and desserts for a small cost. Soda and alcohol are not included.

Thus, for the ticket price of about $70, you get a full meal plus a musical. The food was good, and I thought this was a pretty reasonable price for everything. It was a little annoying that they ask you to arrive 1.5-2.5 hours in advance. It certainly didn't take more than one hour to eat, so the rest of the time you're just sitting and waiting.

A few notes:
--The stage is tiny, without much room for set changes, so don't expect lavish productions.
--The sound quality is excellent, esp. since it's not a large theater as mentioned.
--In this particular production, some of the actors, in character, talked to the audience before the show began. I thought that was neat.
--The bathrooms are a bit of a hike (near the main entrance, then downstairs). However, they are big and clean.
--The dessert is served at intermission. I thought it was weird that the bill (only for add-ons and tips) was given out before the show began. What if I wanted to order a drink at intermission?
--If you're just a table of two, you and your guest's table will be about one foot away from an adjacent table for two. It reminds me of being in France, where all tables are this close.

More info at www.janesvillearmory.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the worst place I've ever been! Terrible employees, very rude, and if you need help forget it!

Anonymous said...

I was very dissappointed in the quality of the Christmas show,(A wondereful life) it reminded me of a good high school performance, but certainly not a professional show. My food choice was meatloaf or chicken breast for $70, but for the low low price of an additional 20 or so, I could get a real meal. My money will be spent at the Fireside from now on.

Anonymous said...

The Armory is a nicely remodeled old downtown Janesville buildng. The Christmas play was nice but a bit too long for the level of comfort allowed by the crowded seating and uncomfortable chairs. Side seating is not the best for viewing action in the center stage. I feel I missed seeing important parts of the play because of this viewing problem and my seat was the same price as the front center seats. Staff was not as professional as I expected them to be, rather faux-friendly and really disinterested in their guests. The food was very bad, not the menu choices, because that is tied to the theme of the play and meat-loaf is an American home staple, but the quality was bad..wilted salad with a tiny drizzle of tasy dressing, plates much too large for the portion so the food-art arrangement on the plate seemed out of proportion. Lack of flavor & not served steaming hot, almost seemed like pre-fab food heated in the microwave - not worth the money and certainly not worth being advised on what the tip amount should be.. $23.18..which really formed my opinion of my $70.00 visit...I probably will not go back as there are many other theaters to choose from which have proven to be worth my dollar. I was disappointed and felt like I wasted my money, which doesn't set well in this economy. The Armory needs to improve on customer service and food quality!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have been going here for the Christmas show now for 4 years and we love it! The staff is very helpful and nice and the food was great! We go again this Saturday and we can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Excellent job. Go on to keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

As a brand-new blogger I determined this short article quite helpful, appreciate your conveying

Anonymous said...

It's really great content. I will definitely be blogging along with commenting on it. Exactly what I was seeking.

Anonymous said...

Very good one. I'm just truly thankful to get the straight answers